The clock is ticking, and every second brings us ever closer to the launch of the Call of Duty: Infinite WarfareMultiplayer Beta. The first weekend of the Beta will kick off on Friday, October 14 at 10am PDT / 5pm GMT on PlayStation 4, and Infinity Ward has provided some inside intel on what you can expect. It’s worth noting that while some things will feel familiar to Call of Duty veterans, there is also a ton of new stuff in here. So read on for a primer that will prepare you for the beta launch and beyond.
One of the biggest additions to Infinite Warfare Multiplayer is the introduction of Combat Rigs. These are combat systems, or suits, chosen and worn by the player that provide a customized suite of tactical options. The Rigs are inspired by six distinct playstyles and are swappable mid-match to help you take a different approach to the game as it unfolds.
Each Combat Rig can be equipped with one Payload and one Trait. Payloads are weapons or abilities you can activate mid-match once earned, and they bring an immediate boost to your Rig. Traits are persistent passive abilities that open up strategic gameplay opportunities based on your playstyle. You can unlock three Payloads and three Traits on each Combat Rig as you progress through the game.
When the Beta kicks off next Friday, you will be able to get your hands on three of the six different Combat Rigs that will be in the game at launch on 11/4. Let’s take a closer look at them:
WARFIGHTER Designed for a mid-range assault-style player, equip the Warfighter rig to support the team by getting fast kills, quickly getting to an objective, and always being on the offensive.
- Claw Powerful spread-shot weapon. Fires bullets that can ricochet around corners.
- Combat Focus Allows you to get double points for a limited time, getting you to that scorestreak even faster.
- Overdrive Gives you a speed boost.
- Ping Kills and assists send a ping that highlights nearby enemies.
- Persistence Scorestreak counts don’t reset after death, but cost more.
- Resupply Lethals and tacticals can be resupplied by scavenging supplies from downed foes.
MERC This imposing suit is equipped with payload options designed to clear enemy threats quickly and with authority. Its focus is heavy defense and suppressive fire.
- Steel Dragon Heavy beam weapon that can target multiple enemies.
- Bull Charge Armored riot shield that destroys enemies as you charge.
- Reactive Armor Electromagnetically charged armor that shields you from enemy fire.
- Infusion When triggered, regenerates health quickly after taking damage.
- Man-At-Arms Heavy weapons won’t slow you down, and you start with maximum ammo.
- Shock Wave Slam yourself into the ground and enemies with this devastating jump.
SYNAPTIC A C6 Class remote-operated droid optimized for speed and close quarters combat.
- Equalizer Dual under-arm machine guns with built-in suppressors for close quarters combat.
- Rewind Rewinds your position and replenishes health and ammo.
- Reaper Switches you into four-legged, rapid melee combat mode.
- Combat Burst After each kill, gain a boost of movement speed.
- Propulsion Jump pack that recharges quickly and allows you to damage enemies underneath you with the blast from the jump pack.
- Rushdown Allows you to dash in any horizontal direction.
Please note that Payloads and Traits are unlocked via progression and therefore not all may be available during the Beta.
Mission Teams bring a metagame to Multiplayer in Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare. By completing missions while enlisted in a team, you will earn a team rank. Complete those missions with honors, and you will earn extra experience towards your rank.
Each team has a unique commander who will deliver missions to you, and comment on your success or failure. Ranking up will give you rewards from that team, including calling cards, camos, emblems, unique Rig cosmetics, as well as specific prototype weapons that are only available from that team.
In the Beta, players will get to experience two of the four Mission Teams, and will be able to enlist in the JTF Wolverines when they start the game. Their motto is “First in the Fight,” and this team and their commander favor aggressive combat. Also available as players progress will be the Orion Initiative, who go by the creed “Vigilance to Victory,” and bring their organized strategy to objective based missions.
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare offers a variety of maps that are optimized across the board for different types of engagements and game modes. Here’s a look at three of the maps that will be in the Beta:
- FRONTIER Circular, two-lane, fast-paced
Frontier is a small section of a giant space station that is in orbit around the planet Neptune. The action is funneled down a long, central corridor with side paths offering an element of strategy and a constricted lower lane for players craving chaos.
- FROST Linear, three-lane, medium-paced
A research facility set atop the icy surface of Jupiter’s moon Europa. Ample opportunities for vertical combat and rapid encounters around sleek modular elements highlight this frozen battleground.
- THROWBACK Bent, three-lane, medium-paced
This throwback 1950’s ‘Main Street USA’ locale sits on a giant, rotating, torus-shaped space station. A large circular lane rings the perimeter, while a large center square with multiple avenues of approach and two opposing windows offers a wide range of engagement opportunities.
Fan favorite modes including Team Deathmatch, Domination and Kill Confirmed will be rotated throughout the Beta, along with some surprises like the new Defender mode:
- DEFENDER High-stakes game of ‘keep away’
Your team must grab a drone and defend it, gaining points while holding on and keeping it out of enemy hands. Teamwork is essential here in order to make sure your points add up until the drone resets and the cycle starts again.
You’ll get all of this and more in the Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Beta, including many new weapons, scorestreaks, lethals, tacticals, and customization options. We’ve only begun to scratch the surface as far as the content in the Beta goes, and Infinity Ward also has some surprises in store for you. So play as often as you can, and keep your eyes peeled. We’ll see you online!
Pre-order Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare now on PlayStation 4 and Xbox One and get access to the Beta! For more intel about the Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare Beta, be sure to visit CallofDuty.com/beta and follow @CallofDutyand @InfinityWard on Twitter.