Yesterday, developer Hello Games announced a new free update, titled Path Finder, for its action-adventure survival game: No Man’s Sky. At the time, the update was confirmed to add a new vehicle and help with planet exploration, but beyond these few details not much else was known.
Today, Hello Games announced the update in full, revealing that it adds three new planetary vehicles, base sharing, PS4 Pro support, ship/weapon specialization, permadeath mode, and much more. And by much more, I mean it. It’s a huge update.
Here’s a rundown of everything in the update via Hello Games:
ONLINE BASE SHARING
Bases can now be shared online, allowing other players to discover and explore your outpost.
Steam Workshop integration allows players to upload their bases to the Workshop, making it easy for other players to discover, visit, rate and subscribe to your creations.
OWN MULTIPLE SHIPS
Use the enormous hanger in your Freighter to purchase and store your own collection of starships.
This is even more meaningful with the introduction of ship specialisation, classes and the ability to trade in previous ships against new purchases
Find and collect the perfect starship with new specialisations and classes.
PLAYSTATION 4 PRO
PS4 Pro support has been enabled allowing 4K resolution gameplay. 4K rendering on PC has also been optimised. Together with visual improvements for all versions, No Man’s Sky has never looked better.
NEW VEHICLES – EXOCRAFT
Master the surface of your home planet using new Exocraft. These land-based vehicles give new meaning to planetary navigation, combat and mining – and can be summoned from anywhere on the planet they were constructed upon.
Roamer – The mid-range Exocraft is the Roamer, a great all-rounder capable of quickly crossing rugged terrain and adapting to most situations
Colossus – Finally, the Colossus is the largest of the Exocraft. This lumbering behemoth offers an enormous cargo hold perfect for those looking to harvest resources
Hone your driving skills by building your own race circuit on your home planet. Find the most interesting planet, create a time trial and challenge others to beat it.
NEW SHOPS AND TRADERS
New traders have been added to space stations and bases, as well as a new currency
- Nanite Clusters can be found in various locations including abandoned bases and cargo crates
- Blueprint stock will refresh periodically, so check back from time to time to see if any new or rare blueprints have become available.
- Traders aboard space stations will exchange Nanite Clusters for your choice of blueprints
- Your standing with the three NPC factions is now more important, as traders will only sell the best technology to their closest allies
- Your standing with a faction can be improved by offering relics and curiosities to their representatives, or through conversation choices
- Seek out Vy’keen traders for Multi-tool technology, Gek for ship upgrades and the Korvax for Exosuit improvement blueprints
- A new building trader will now visit your home base, and will sell new base constructs in exchange for credits
BASE BUILDING VARIETY
Customisation options for your base have more than doubled.
MULTI-TOOL SPECIALIZATION AND CLASSES
Multi-tool specialisations and classes have been introduced. Choose between pistol, rifle, experimental and alien specialisations
NEW WEAPON MODES
Both Multi-tool and ship weaponry can be upgraded for improved combat effectiveness
Three new weapons can be installed into Multi-tools alongside the existing Boltcaster weapon. Each weapon provides a unique combat style:
- The Scatter Blaster is most effective in close range encounters, able to damage multiple foes at once
- The Pulse Spitter is ideal for mid-range skirmishes, particularly against fast moving opponents
- The Blaze Javelin is a long range weapon, capable of eliminating enemies from afar
New ship weaponry offers advanced tactical opportunities:
- The Cyclotron Ballista fires a concentrated ball of charged particles at forward targets, causing heavy damage
- The Positron Ejector shoots in a wide cone of destruction
- The Infra-Knife Accelerator releases a sustained burst of rapid fire
A new Permadeath mode has been added, offering the greatest challenge yet. The consequences of death will be absolute.
Document your journey with a dedicated photo mode
Improvements to the discovery menu allow travellers to journey with a better sense of purpose
MUSIC FROM 65DAYSOFSTATIC
Our favorite band 65daysofstatic has been back in the studio recording 8 new soundscapes for in-game, as well as lots of new loading music.
QUALITY OF LIFE IMPROVEMENTS
Thanks to your feedback, we have introduced a number of changes to improve the gameplay experience.
SHIPS AND SPACE
Support For PS4 Pro 4K Rendering
Support For PS4 Pro Delta Colour Compression
Support For PS4 Pro automatic Depth Buffer decompression
No Man’s Sky is available on PC and PS4. The Path Finder update currently doesn’t have a release beyond sometime later this week, but it does have a new trailer. You can check it out below: