Playing competitive games can be hard enough without sore losers. However, sore winners can be even worse, rubbing your nose in the loss instead of being somewhat magnanimous. Blizzard feels your pain, and has tried to reverse the psychological torment in a behind-the-scenes fix in Overwatch.
After matches, some winners tend to gloat, typing GG EZ in match chat, which stands for Good Game, Easy win. Typing that to friends privately or even typing that to your team is no problem. But typing it so your opponents see it? Won’t happen. Blizzard devs now replace that string of characters with a variety of phases designed to make the gloater look complimentary … or worse.
Among the catchy little phrases added:
- I’m wrestling with some insecurity issues in my life, but thank you all for playing with me
- C’mon Mom! One more game before you tuck me in. Oops mistell.
- I could really use a hug right now
- I’m trying to be a nicer person. It’s hard, but I’m trying, guys
- Mommy says people my age shouldn’t suck their thumbs
- It’s past my bedtime. Please don’t tell my mommy
There are also ones turning the troll into a good winner, such as “Well played, I salute you” and “Gee whiz, that was fun. Good playing”.
It will be interesting to see if these changes make it through into Blizzard’s other competitive games as well.